Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Canada Trip: Ottawa

After two nights in Montreal, I took off for Ottawa, Canada's capital city.  On the day I left, I made one last attempt to go to the Museum of Contemporary Art.  I knew it opened at 11, around check-out time.  I checked out of my hotel after I loaded my car, save for a backpack containing all the valuables I wanted to keep on me.  I walked over to the museum intending to go in, but didn't do it when I saw they were making people check their bags.  I went back to my car and drove to Ottawa.

That night in Ottawa, I ate at The Clocktower Brewery, then went to see Rideau Hall, the residence of Canada's Governor General.  After that I went to see Rideau Falls.  On my way back to the hotel, I stopped at The Beer Store and bought the Okanagan variety pack.  It was pretty good, except for the apricot favored beer.

The next day I did some sight-seeing as  I walked around.  I spent most of the afternoon in the Canadian War Museum, and probably enjoyed that more then anything else I did.  I've always enjoyed history, particularly military history.  It was interesting to learn the early history of Canada, which I was mostly ignorant of.  The museum had several pieces on the battles that were fought around Quebec, so it was interesting to read up on the places i saw around the city when I was there.

The museum had a good amount on Canada's contribution to WWI, and I took a lot of time to go through that.  Since I already know a lot about WWII, I sped through that section and the Cold War end as I was getting hungry and needed something to eat.  After I got something at the nearby Mill St. Brewery, I wanted to do some more sight-seeing, but it was raining, so I headed back to my hotel and turned in early that night.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment